Some people are blessed with tiny pores, but unfortunately I’m not one of those people. The pores on my cheeks aren’t too bad, but it’s another story when it comes to my nose. Here are the best tips on how to clear out and shrink your pores including products to conceal the most stubborn ones.
- Exfoliate– Dead skin cells clog your pores so removing them is very important. Getting manual extractions from a licensed esthetician monthly is ultimately the best way to unclog your pores. If this isn’t within your budget then try one of my recommended exfoliators or my personal favorite. Remember that being gentle is key. Over-exfoliation can leave your skin red and puffy and is a result of exfoliating too often or scrubbing too hard. Your skin type and the product you’re using will depend on how often you can exfoliate. I have combination skin and I exfoliate twice a week. I could probably get away with three, but I’m not good at remembering to exfoliate 🙈
- Steam– Using a facial steamer will soften your pores making it easier for you to get gunk out when you exfoliate. This is the one that I use.
- Use Salicylic Acid- This beta hydroxy acid (BHA) will go deep down into your pores and clear out all the oil and any bacteria that may cause acne. Some BHA products to check out are:
- PAULA’S CHOICE Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
- MURAD Age Reform Aha/Bha Exfoliating Cleanser
- MARIO BADESCU Acne Facial Cleanser
- Supermud® Clearing Treatment
- Purity Made Simple Pore Extractor Mask
- Chemical Peels– Another costly, but effective treatment. This shrinks your pores by lifting off all your dead skin cells. The same as the exfoliation process I was talking about earlier, but on a much stronger level.
- Use Retinol– This will reduce your oil production and clear out your pores making them smaller. Find out which retinoid is best for you here.
- Use Sunscreen!– The sun decreases your elasticity resulting in enlarged pores. I’m currently testing out my Sephora Sun Safety Kit and will do a review about the best sunscreen products soon.
- Laser Treatments– Fraxel and Laser Genesis will get rid of your pores by pretty much giving you a whole new face. These lasers smooth out the top layer of your skin and stimulate collagen production. Laser Genesis is the milder version of Fraxel.