I decided to start a new series, skincare 101, this week. It’s great for anyone who is interested in skincare whether they’re just starting out or they’re pros and want to find out about new products. I’m beginning today with cleansers because washing your face is the first step to taking care of your skin. The key to looking for a good cleanser is to make sure it’s pH balanced. Your skin’s natural pH is slightly acidic at 5 to create natural fungus and bacteria that is healthy for your skin. pH ranges from 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most alkaline. Skin will get out of whack(i.e. oily, dry, red, sensitive, prone to sun damage etc.) the farther you get away from that 5. All the following cleansers are pH balanced.
- Normal to oily skin, Combination skin (what I have)
- Ceramides: Lipids(fats) that are about 50% of your skin’s outer structure. They create a barrier between your skin and the environment. They help your skin keep moisture and also keeps skin firm and supple.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Delivers Vitamin C to your skin. This also helps keep moisture and plumps up skin to reduce fine lines.
This cleanser is what I personally use. I read an article about your skin’s pH balance a couple years ago and at that time there didn’t seem to be that many cleansers that were pH balanced except from Paula’s Choice line. Now there are many more. I usually only use this to get makeup off and then sometimes in addition I’ll use the Bioderma afterwards to get any makeup I may have missed.
- All skin types
- Allantoin and Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract: Heals and soothes which is great for sensitive and dry skin. Claims with continued daily use that skin will become less sensitive and less flare ups (redness) will occur.
- Glycerin: Moisturizes and protects the skin by drawing moisture from the air and absorbing it into the skin.
- First Aid Beauty Antioxidant Booster: Combats free radicals (a result of environmental aging).
- Oily, acne-prone or combination skin
- -Salicylic Acid 2%: Maximum strength acne-fighting medication.
-Buffered Glycolic Acid 15%: “Unglues” dead skin cells and exfoliates. Helps improve surface pigmentation. Cleans out and improves enlarged pores.
-Witch Hazel: Helpful with redness and soothing. Tightens and improves pores. Great for removing excess oil.
-Sebum Sequestering Microparticles ™: Patented microscopic polymer absorbs oils.
-Allantoin: Powerful botanical anti-irritant that protects skin.
- Normal to sensitive, Dry skin
- Sucrose Cocoate (a patented mixture of sucrose and coconut derivatives): Gently cleanses sensitive skin.
- Algae & Aloe Vera Gel: Supports natural collagen and enhances moisture balance in the skin. Soothes and cools.
- Vitamin E & Japanese Green Tea: Anti-aging antioxidants that prevent and repair free radical damage.